Vancouver & Hybrid • Pacific Time | Updated October 30, 2023
Steamclock is looking for a bright, enthusiastic person here in Vancouver with experience managing app development projects. If you like working with highly skilled teams and delivering great outcomes to clients, we’d love to chat!
Steamclock is a profitable and growing studio in Gastown that makes very nice mobile software. We focus on shipping great products and building the kind of company we want to work at. Over the past 10+ years, we’ve designed and developed customer-facing mobile apps for experience-centric companies like Mozilla, Indochino, Ridwell, Hootsuite, and Arc’teryx.
Although most of the work for this role can be done remotely, we’re looking for somebody who is able to work from our Vancouver office at least once per week.
Like any small company, you’ll have the chance to wear many hats – ranging from coordination to leadership, from administrative to team-facing. We’re building the best darn software studio in town, and your skills and perspective will help us bring that to the next level.
Well-qualified applicants will know how to:
- Run effective software projects – likely due to having 3+ years of experience in a software development environment in a role like Project Manager, Product Manager, Producer, etc.
- Facilitate product communication, requirements-gathering, expectation-setting, and negotiation with clients, drawing from experience in an agency environment.
- Coordinate mobile app development and deployment, ideally including familiarity with the processes for building, testing, submitting, and releasing apps on the Play Store and App Store.
- Demonstrate empathy for clients, users, and software development teams, and curiosity for their needs.
- Understand and support clients like tech startups, growing software product companies, and tech-enabled businesses.
- Identify and mitigate risks and misunderstandings in software development, from requirements to budgets to plain old miscommunications.
- Ship great work, informed by a passion for great software and design. Bonus points for any familiarity with design or development, e.g. working with Figma or platforms’ mobile app interface guidelines.
- Keep a continuous improvement mindset, both about yourself and your teams. You’re a lifelong learner and you value people over process.
- Build positive and effective client relationships over time – ideally you’ll have experience helping sign additional work with existing clients based on a solid understanding their business goals.
You’ll know you’re succeeding in this role if:
- Our projects are running well. You’re the engine that drives our various client projects forward and you use all the PM greatest hits effectively: project planning, coordination, identifying and mitigating risks, stakeholder management, budget tracking, scope management, conflict resolution, documentation, etc.
- You’re communicating effectively with our clients and teams. You bring curiosity and consideration to each new technical and client challenge, iteratively building toward a clear and meaningful understanding for everyone involved.
- Our scheduling is effective. You’re leading our team and project scheduling efforts in a way that helps make projects profitable, as well as our clients and team members happy.
- We’re shipping great apps. You encourage effective software practices like iterative development, talking to users, considering tradeoffs, focusing on business goals, and otherwise rallying teams to ship high-quality apps.
- You’re contributing to our clients signing new work. Given your effective support of client projects, products, and strategy – and maybe even leading creative workshops to discover new features that will help clients reach their goals – our existing client accounts want us to take on new, valuable work you’ve helped make a good case for.
- Our marketing is on track. You play an important role on our small-but-mighty marketing team, where you’ll be invited to contribute from the earliest stages of brainstorming all the way through to making sure the work we ship is chef’s kiss.
- You set a great example. Your teams see your curiosity, clarity of communication, and thoughtfulness and are glad to be working with you.
Compensation for this role will vary depending on the experience of the successful candidate and the resulting scope and responsibility, but could start in the $90k/yr range and go up to $110k/yr for a more senior candidate with proven success across our whole scope of needs.
- Extended health and dental
- No overtime
- Autonomy over your work
- Enforced minimum vacations
- Charitable donation matching
- Profit sharing
- Parental leave
- PST-based team
- RRSP matching
- No Meeting Wednesdays™
- Home office allowance
- Nice office in Gastown (for those who prefer it)
- Submit your application, including your resume.
- If we think you’re a potential fit, we’ll send you an email with some follow-up questions.
- After we review the email responses, we’ll schedule interviews with applicants who we think are the best match for what we’re looking for. We’ll use Zoom to connect. Subsequent interviews might be in person, but we can discuss those details in the first interview.
- Once all the interviews are complete, we’ll contact the successful applicant to make an offer.
Send us your resume with a blurb about why you think you’d be a fit for Steamclock. People from groups underrepresented in tech, including women, people of colour, and LGBTQ+ candidates, are encouraged to apply.Apply Today