Client Partnerships Manager
Vancouver • Pacific Time | Updated June 21, 2022
Steamclock is looking for a bright, enthusiastic person here in Vancouver with experience growing a professional services business. If you like building relationships and talking to companies about their software strategy, we’d love to chat!
Steamclock is a profitable and growing 12-person studio in Gastown that makes very nice mobile software. Our focus is shipping great products, and building the company we want to work at. We’ve designed and developed customer-facing mobile apps for experience-centric companies like Mozilla, WealthBar, and Arc’teryx.
Although we support remote work, we’re looking for folks living in the greater Vancouver area for this role.
Like any small company, you’ll have the chance to wear many hats. So far we’ve built our business on inbound leads and referrals, by way of a strong brand and reputation. This will be our first position dedicated to working with new clients and growing the business, so we’re open minded in terms of the exact scope of the role.
While we’re looking to make a permanent hire who can grow with the company, it may make sense to start with a part-time engagement or trial contract that expands over time, or for very qualified candidates it may make sense to move directly to a full-time role with broad responsibility.
You'll have the opportunity to work on:
- Identifying, evaluating, and developing leads who need top-quality app design and development work, with budgets typically in the $100-500k range
- Developing our understanding of leads’ needs and goals, and how we’re suited to serve those – or not!
- Managing our pipeline of client leads, from new leads through to finalized contracts and handoff
- Helping define how Steamclock’s business development, sales, and new client processes work and scale
- Driving clear communication around goals, scope, requirements, and expectations from first contact through our kickoff sprints
- Ramping up our business development and referral partnerships by expanding on our reputation as experts
- Building effective relationships with CEOs and CTOs that generally ignore unsolicited calls and emails
- Helping refine leads’ product and mobile strategy
- Working with production, tech, and design folks on strategy and estimation, setting projects up for success
- Negotiating good deals that are clear, deliverable, and profitable
- Building an understanding of our business over time, opening doors to potentially help with account management, marketing, strategy, and how we grow our business
Ideally you would have:
- 5+ years selling and/or delivering custom software
- Living in Vancouver area (remote work friendly, with some in-person work and travel)
- The ability to identify and mitigate risks and misunderstandings in software development
- Demonstrated ability to build long term relationships and close new business, having negotiated and/or closed deals $50k+
- Strategic, long term thinking and consultative mentality – able to inquire, consider, explain, and persuade
- A passion for gaining an deep understanding of clients’ culture, style, motivations, and definitions of success
- 💯 communication skills, ranging from Zoom and in-person through to docs and chat
- Bonus points:
- Experience specifically with mobile app projects and strategy
- Background in a consultancy or agency environment, especially in a client partnerships or leadership role
- Have held titles like Account Manager, Sales Engineer, Marketing Manager, or Managing Director
- Some hands-on experience in design or development
- Openness to starting on a part-time or on a contract basis, but evolving towards a full-time permanent role
- Experience, reputation, and contacts in the world of startups and growing tech-enabled product companies
Compensation for this role could vary widely depending on the experience of the successful candidate and the resulting scope and responsibility, but could start in the $75k/yr range for a 3- or 4-day-per-week arrangement up to $120k/yr for a senior candidate with proven success across our whole scope of needs. A fraction of compensation would likely be based on achieving or exceeding our revenue targets, but at the end of the day we don’t just care about volume, we care a lot about quality.
- Extended health and dental
- No overtime
- Autonomy over your work
- Enforced minimum vacations
- Charitable donation matching
- Profit sharing
- Parental leave
- PST-based team
- RRSP matching
- No Meeting Wednesdays™
- Home office allowance
- Nice office in Gastown (for those who prefer it)
Send us your resume with a blurb about why you think you’d be a fit for Steamclock. People from groups underrepresented in tech, including women, people of colour, and LGBTQ+ candidates, are encouraged to apply.Apply Today