This position is no longer open for applications.
Want to reach out? Drop us a line through workable.
Senior iOS Developer
Vancouver & Remote • Pacific Time | Updated April 12, 2021
Steamclock is looking for a bright, enthusiastic person here in Canada with experience shipping products on iOS. If you have a track record of shipping beautiful, high-quality apps, we’d love to chat!
Steamclock is a profitable and growing studio in Vancouver that makes very nice mobile software. Our focus is shipping great products, and building the company we want to work at. We make products for ourselves – like our side-project game Two Spies – and apps for interesting companies like WealthBar, Mozilla, and Arc’teryx.
We support remote work, though we’re looking for folks eligible to work in Canada who would like to work on Pacific time. When our office in Vancouver reopens, team members will have the option of working at our nice Vancouver office some days of the week, or working remotely and coming together as a team in Vancouver a couple times a year.
Like any small company, you’ll have the chance to wear many hats. In this role, though, we’re looking for somebody who can at times wear a leadership hat, and help develop our team as well as our apps. We value people over process, and your skills and perspective will help us bring that to the next level.
Well-qualified applicants will know how to:
- Building nice iOS apps in Swift
- Collaborating with teams of 2-5 people to ship multiple products a year
- Technical decision-making and helping understand requirements
- Solving tricky challenges and evaluating new tools
- Providing constructive and empathetic feedback on pull requests, architecture, and technical approaches
- Minimizing the need for meetings with proactive communication on Slack, Github, and elsewhere
- Related apps in other languages, for example Kotlin, TypeScript, or Rails
- Special projects like open source libraries, backend APIs, and product experiments
- Iterating our skills and culture to build the best darn app development team in the world
You’ll know you’re succeeding in this role if:
- Experience shipping native iOS apps
- Empathy for your fellow teammates, clients, and users
- Able to work full time PST hours (at Vancouver HQ, remotely in Canada, or a mix)
- Clear communication in various forms, whether it’s spoken, written, or 🚀⭐️🎈
- 4+ years of native mobile app development experience
- Experience debugging interesting problems
- Some experience in technical leadership, such as leading a product or a small dev team
- Some background in either a startup environment or a client-services studio
- Enthusiasm for building very nice customer-facing software
- Some kind of bonus skill (Rails, React, Devops, knitting, etc.)
- Extended health and dental
- No overtime
- Autonomy over your work
- Enforced minimum vacations
- Charitable donation matching
- Profit sharing
- Parental leave
- PST-based team
- RRSP matching
- No Meeting Wednesdays™
- Home office allowance
- Nice office in Gastown (for those who prefer it)